As featured in The Wall Street Journal, Money Magazine, and more!

How to Check the Status of Your Tax Refund: Federal and State

I am still waiting for the second tax refund the IRS owes me after I filed an amended tax return for 2008. Additionally, the State of New Jersey decided to count my business income twice after I filed an amended tax return, so that refund has been delayed as well. The first tax refunds after filing amended returns for 2007 were delivered much more quickly. I’d like to receive these 2008 refunds sooner than later.

Last month, I decided to check the status of my federal tax refund. If you’re looking for your federal refund from a typical tax return, not an amended return, this is usually a simple task. The IRS maintains a website linked to a database containing the refund information for every taxpayer who filed a return.

Banking Deal: Earn 1.30% APY on an FDIC-insured savings account at Synchrony Bank.

All you need to provide is your Social Security Number (or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number), your filing status, and you expected refund amount. If you, like me, are waiting for a refund for an amended return, you cannot use this online tool. Here’s what the IRS advises:

Information regarding refunds for Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return is not available. Amended/corrected returns are processed as quickly as possible. However, it may take 8 to 12 weeks or longer to process the return. If 8 weeks have elapsed and you have not received your refund, call (800) 829-1040.

That takes care of your federal tax refund. Almost all states that have an income tax also have a web-based form for checking the refund status. To my dismay, my state of New Jersey is one that does not have a way to check your refund status online.

Here are all of the state “where’s my refund” websites, as well as phone numbers for those who would prefer to talk to a representative.

Note: I looked at each state’s revenue department to find these links and phone numbers. If you believe any information is incorrect, please let me know.

State Online Status Telephone
AL Dept. of Revenue 800-558-3912
AK Alaska does not have a personal income tax
AZ Dept. of Revenue 602-255-3381
AR Dept. of Finance and Admin. 501-324-9057‎
CA Franchise Tax Board 800-852-5711
CO Dept. of Revenue 303-238-3278
CT Dept. of Revenue 860-297-5962
DE Dept. of Revenue 302-577-8784
FL Dept. of Revenue 850-488-8937
GA Dept. of Revenue 877-423-6711
HI Dept. of Taxation 808-587-4242
ID Tax Commission 208-334-7660
IL Dept. of Revenue 800-732-8866
IN Dept. of Revenue 317-232-2240
IA Dept. of Revenue 515-281-4966
KS Dept. of Revenue 800-894-0318
KY Dept. of Revenue 502-564-1600
LA Dept. of Revenue 225-219-0102
ME Revenue Services 207-626-8475
MD Comptroller 800-218-8160
MA Dept. of Revenue 800-392-6089
MI Dept. of Treasury 517-373-3200
MN Revenue 651-296-3781
MS Tax Commission 601-923-7801
MO Dept. of Revenue 573-526-8299
MT Dept. of Revenue 866-859-2254
NE Dept. of Revenue 800-742-7474
NV Nevada does not have a personal income tax
NH New Hampshire does not have a personal income tax
NJ Not available online 800-323-4400
NM Taxation and Revenue 505-476-3778
NY Dept. of Taxation and Finance 518-457-5149
NC Dept. of Revenue 877-252-4052
ND Office of State Tax Commissioner 701-328-2770
OH Dept. of Taxation Services 800-282-1780
OK Not available online 405-521-3160
OR Dept. of Revenue 503-378-4988
PA Dept. of Revenue Services 717-787-8201
RI Division of Taxation 401-574-8941
SC Dept. of Revenue 6 location-based numbers
SD South Dakota does not have a personal income tax
TN Tennessee does not have a personal income tax
TX Texas does not have a personal income tax
UT Tax Commission 801-297-2200
VT Dept. of Taxes 802-828-0145
VA Dept. of Taxation 804-367-2486
WA Washington does not have a personal income tax
WV Dept. of Revenue 304-558-3333
WI Dept. of Revenue 866-947-7363
WY Wyoming does not have a personal income tax

Good luck receiving your refund!

Updated June 22, 2016 and originally published March 22, 2010.

About the author

Luke Landes is the founder of shizennougyou. He has been blogging and writing for the internet since 1995 and has been building online communities since 1991. Find out more about Luke Landes and follow him on Twitter. View all articles by .

{ 5 comments… read them below or add one }

avatar 1 Anonymous

It’s pretty ridiculous that NJ doesn’t let you check the status of your refund — however, I always get my state tax refund back in record time.

Reply to this comment

avatar 2 Luke Landes

NJ messed up my amended 2008 return, thinking I now owe rather than am owed a refund. So I’m waiting for that to be sorted out.

Reply to this comment

avatar 3 Anonymous

Thanks for this comprehensive list. I would hope more states would have online ways to do this in the future.

Reply to this comment

avatar 4 Anonymous
avatar 5 Anonymous

Did the author actually check the numbers? The NYS number does not give you a human

Reply to this comment

Leave a Comment

Note: Use your name or a unique handle, not the name of a website or business. No deep links or business URLs are allowed. Spam, including promotional linking to a company website, will be deleted. By submitting your comment you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.